Primrose in Bloom
“Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet
and the winds long to play with your hair.”
– Kahlil Gibran
June is here at last! The official first day of summer isn’t until June 21st, but June’s arrival feels like that moment you start running for the end of a dock in preparation for a big cannonball splash into summer! As our Primrose team sets up our summer displays, we’ve been reminiscing about some of our favorite summer memories and have discovered that the big milestones, like the last day of school and family vacations, aren’t the first things that come to mind. Instead, it’s the simple moments of summer we remember most fondly, like walking in cool, lush grass with bare feet, sitting outside on warm evenings, the smell of campfires, sunblock and BBQ s, and sleeping with the windows open and being serenaded by frogs and birds.
One of the things we all love about summer is that we are able to live outside more. In fact, some of us can hardly stand to be inside when the days are longer and the temperatures are so blissful, as they often are in June. With that in mind, we highly recommend kicking off the month by preparing an outdoor living space so you can thoroughly enjoy it for the full summer season. For example…
- Gather up your favorite outdoor furniture and set up a little outdoor living room. Even a couple comfy chairs and small side tables will make a welcoming outdoor living space.
- An indoor/outdoor area rug is a great way to bring the various pieces together and add a finished look.
- Adding containers with flowering plants and grasses will help define the space, add color, and make the space feel more private.
- Hang a string of patio lights around the area. Tall shepherd’s hooks work great as hangers for light strings, as do trees and fences. If light strings aren’t an option, consider setting out lanterns or putting pillar candles in large vases.
- Create a water feature. You can use a large ceramic garden pot or even a bird bath and drop in a lovely Water Hyacinth or Water Lettuce for added interest.
- Plant an Aronia (Chokeberry) for the birds. Add feeders and a bird bath for bird watching. Have binoculars nearby!
- Build a fire pit. There are many great fire pit ‘bowls’ on the market and there are even small propane fire pits (they use the same propane tanks that are used for BBQ s).
- Speaking of BBQ s, this is the time to bring out the grill, clean it up and get it ready to put into use. Plant a hardy Rosemary nearby for sprigs on kebabs.
There are so many easy and inexpensive ways to create wonderful outdoor living areas. If you need a little inspiration, swing by Christianson’s Nursery! In addition to our huge selection of plants, beautiful containers, and garden art, Primrose is filled with great items for summer living, both inside and out.
Have fun building your outdoor summer nest, then savor that big leap into the glorious days of summer!